Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Aubrey & New York

My best friend Aubrey has been in New York City for the better part of this year working hard on the new Ace Hotel. Often when working 6-7 days a work on a project it is easy to forget that she is one of the greatest cities in the world. Being that I am dying to get out there and she is only there for a few more weeks, I have decided to take this time to live vicariously (and virtually) through her.  I have set out to make a list of all the places I would (or think she should) go/experience before she goes back home to Los Angeles. She will then go to & photograph them all for me. It'll be like I was there, only not quite.


Tragically, the MOMA was closed the last time  I was in New York.

The Seagram Building
Designed by Mies van der Rohe in collaboration with Philip Johnson in 1958. Located on Park Avenue & 53rd. It's one of the most famous skyscrapers of the International Style.

Lombardi's
The first pizzeria in the United States, even if it isn't quite in it's original location.

New York Public Library
Opened in 1911 and is one of the greatest research facilities in the world. The history! The interior! Beautiful.

Empire State Building
A classic. 

The Conservatory Garden and Central Park Reservoir,  Central Park
I don't know how I missed either of these, I blame it on being unprepared for the cold, New York winter.

Street Hot Dog
Doesn't matter where, as long as it's photographed.

Reopened in 2007 with it's new design by Sejima + Nishizawa/SANAA (in collaboration with Gensler). I have been dying to see this museum.


New York Stock Exchange  

The Dakota 
The apartments from Rosemary's Baby, where John Lennon lived and died, home to Judy Garland, Yoko Ono, Lauren Bacall,  and Leonard Bernstein. 

Saint Patrick's Cathedral  
A national landmark and amazing architectural feat (twin 330-foot towers). Plus, I have a thing for churches.  

Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Heights Promenade
Views of  lower Manhattan, South Street Seaport, the East River and the Brooklyn Bridge. 

Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory

Prospect Park
Love everything Frederick Olmsted.

No comments:

Post a Comment